Monday, May 18, 2009

Expecting the Unexpected

I have the best neighbors. Tonight there is a frost advisory for Buncombe County - I've pulled out all the plastic, 5 gallon buckets and trash bags I can get my hands on to cover precious tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. One of my neighbors is praying for me, the other gives me 110 proof Kentucky bourbon.

The field now looks like, I don't know, a bunch of random buckets and trash bags strewn around. All day I've been very blase about this supposed frost, but as the sun started going down a sense of urgency settled in. So we'll see. I won't be sleeping tonight regardless because I was sampling locally roasted coffees this afternoon at Dynamite Roasting.

You just never know - early May we were up in the 80s and a bunch of the bok choy bolted, late May it's down in the 30s and the tomatoes might freeze. But I've got my kalua-colada (that's kaluah with bourbon, pineapple juice and coconut something or other), and sweet potatoes with greens on the stove so I can't complain.

1 comment:

Milkweed said...

Well, between the bourbon and the prayers, I hope it all turned out OK! Our potatoes got hit, but other than that we made it through fairly unscathed. May is such a fickle month in the Swannanoa Valley...from bolt-inducing highs to a snap of blackberry winter. I think we're out of the proverbial woods now, though. Happy almost-June!