Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rain!

Last Sunday the leeks made it out of the fridge and into the field! A momentous day, the first planting. 1800 leeks were set out with help from some friends and my parents. A few days later the rain started (and is continuing), but not before red onion sets and beet seeds were also tucked into the ground. And so it begins...

Over the next two weeks I'll be planting out carrots, more beets, various greens, radishes and hakurei turnips - tender, delicious, crunchy, salad turnips. I'll also be starting summer crops in the greenhouse - tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in particular.

As much as there is to be done in the field, there's an equal amount of work to be done in the office. One office accomplishment of the past week was my new website - check it out!

All of this planting, and everything else I'm doing, couldn't happen without the large community network that I am so grateful to be a part of. My family, my friends, my neighbors, and fellow farmers from around WNC have been, and will continue to be, crucial in getting this farm going.

Next week there will be an addition to this community; I have a new housemate moving in on Wednesday! Kelan is her name, and she will be joined in April by her husband Link. They are both interested in helping out on the farm when they can, but mostly I am excited to have a little community within the house.

Here's a couple photos of the accomplishments of the past couple weeks:



Here Ian, Kathryn and Erin put up plastic on the 'Sprout House.' It's not totally done, but it is usable. I will be growing sunflower sprouts in here, a nutty, crunchy, nutritious green that can be produced year-round.



The first seed to sprout on the farm! I'm running several trials of sunflower sprouts to find the best way to grow them in this structure.




And here's what the field looks like on this rainy Saturday - leeks and onions to the left, then on the right is my next row marked off ready for seeds.

No comments: