Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Composting the Best of the Valley

The past two weeks have seen me driving up and down US70, bringing back various materials for a grand windrow compost pile.

These materials include:

- Manure from the Bilmore Estate equestrian program

- Spent grains from the Pisgah Brewery. I just picked these up this morning, they were still steaming and smelled delicious!

- Coffee grounds from the Dynamite Roastery. These also smell delicious.

- Tea bags from an organic tea house.

- Cocoa hulls from a chocolate producer right here in little ol' Swannanoa! These smell the best of all.

Given a few months and a few churns with a rototiller, this will be the basis for farm fertility.


There's the load of manure, with my boyfriend Boris (he does all the heavy lifting).

And so, now here it is March 4th and I am waiting for the snow to melt and the soil to dry out so that I can get it prepared for planting. Onion and Leek plants crowd my fridge waiting (patiently?) for the day (maybe this weekend?!) when they will be tucked into the field.

How long can a leek survive in the fridge anyway? This is a question of great interest to me, given that they've now been in there (dare I admit it?) since Valentine's day. The information that came with them said they're good for 3 weeks...until March 7th that is. So this led me to the Leek Experiment:

I "planted" half the leeks in potting soil. The other half are still in the fridge - don't put all your leeks in one basket as they say.


After only two days, they've started standing up! I take that as an excellent sign.

2 comments:

Will said...

Boris is pretty rugged looking. Nice catch.

Book Lover said...

It too me a minute. I loved the alliteration in 'my boyfriend Boris' (makes me think of Rocky and Bullwinkle), but looked at the photo and thought, where the heck is the boyfriend? and then the penny dropped. You are funny! An admirable quality, one of the top 3.